Monday, May 22, 2006

Updates, etc.

I am in the process of updating my blog as a whole. I will try to add pictures when I can. Some notes:

The Aviation Mentor, a new blog by our old friend John of Freight Dog Tales is linked. John has rejoined the world of Part 91 (and 61 or 141 as may be), so he will be starting fresh. I think the title is apt as there are many lessons I have learned from reading his blog and I hope to continue learning from his posts.

I have also added Vectors to Final, a blog from my wife's home area of Hampton Roads, VA. I have to get out there and go flying sometime.

Yesterday, I joined Plus One Flyers here in San Diego. My hope is to take advantage of their multiple planes/locations to get some flying in when the weather at NZY is below minimums due to the marine layer. They also only have a 1hr/day cross country minimum, so maybe I will get some long cross countries in. I think I need a little bit more experience before I go coast to coast, so we are going to try shorter trips, like Lost Wages, to get some more experience.

I am also planning on starting my Instrument Rating soon. I spoke with my prospective instructor, J, yesterday about it. He is going to check me out in the Plus One planes on Thursday, so we can talk about it a little more then. I think I am going to try and get my XC PIC hours up to 35-40 or so, then focus on Instrument Training. I do better when I focus on something rather than drag it out, so I am better off this way. For those of you who might recommend one of the 10 day courses for me, I would like to but there is no way I can take 10 days off from work to go flying. Ain't gonna happen.

So, where am I six weeks after getting my PPL:
TT: 51.0 hrs (4.5 since getting my PPL)
XC PIC: 7.5 hrs

Only 4.5 hrs in 6 weeks, but that's not too bad considering I was in Japan for a week and I had to take two weeks off for the broken finger (plus I have a wife, a full time job, and bills to pay other than flying).

Ciao,
BC

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome to "our" flying club. I'll be interested in which plane you choose as your favourite.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Big Country said...

Thanks. I don't which one I'll eventually choose, but I'm taking 2RW up for a check ride Thursday.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home