Saturday, May 20, 2006

$100 Hamburgers make my day.

The gloom over SOCAL finally broke up today, so my darling wife and I went to try and get a $100 Hamburger. We had 50F reserved for a few hours this afternoon, so we were wheels up around 1530 PDT. We got clearance from NZY overhead Lindbergh Field through the Class B. Our route was NZY direct SAN direct MZB direct Del Mar, own navigation to French Valley. I like to fly to French Valley (F70), because it is 52.7 nm from NZY, so I get to log some XC PIC towards my instrument rating.

As we were coming into French Valley, we hit a bit of turbulence. After 1 Touch and Go, we made a full stop and went in to the cafe at French Valley Airport (F70) at about 1615. Unfortunately, the turbulence had made my darling wife a bit airsick.

The cafe had great food!!! I highly recommend it. It's a nice little cafe right on the transient line, with patio seating that overlooks the airfield. We had some cheese sticks for starters, and then I had a burger and my wife had a club sandwich. At the end of the meal, she was still feeling a few butterflies, so we made the decision for me to fly home and then come back and pick her up (about an hour drive one way).

After dinner, I was wheels up at 1730, then picked up flight following south of Temecula. The controller cleared me for "follow the 15 (I-15) at or above 3500," so I took the interstate home. The flight home was smooth as silk, and I did some of the best flying holding heading/altitude/airspeed that I have ever done. Once again, I was given the Lindbergh overhead transition for a direct to NZY. As I was on downwind, the knob for the carb heat came off and fell on the floorboard. Luckily, carb heat was already on, so I didn't have to worry about it. I landed, put the plane to bed, then hopped in the car to drive back to F70 to get my wife.

Should have been about an hour drive, so I would have been there by 1930. When I was almost there, traffic on the 15 (yes, the same 15) came to a crawl because someone's Winnebago was on fire. I finally made it to F70 and picked up my wife around 2000. She had enjoyed herself taking pictures while I was gone (maybe I'll post some later), but she was glad to be heading home.

On the way home, I remembered that I had forgotten to find the carb heat knob and put it back on. Oh, well, nobody was scheduled to take the plane tonight, so I'll just drive back and put it back on.

When I get back to the club, the plane is gone. I waited a few minutes, and the crew that had taken it out brought it back. They had found and reinstalled the carb heat knob prior to departure. After I made some very profuse apologies, the said it was no big deal. They had originally planned to take a different plane, but the landing light was burnt out, so they took 50F instead. They actually thanked me for remembering to come back and fix it.

So, after one airsick passenger, one carb heat knob, two trips to the club, and a drive back and forth to Temecula, was my $100 hamburger worth it? You bet your ass!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home