Saturday, April 15, 2006

My first passenger

Although, technically, the DPE counted as my first passenger (I was, after all, logging PIC), I gave my first real passenger ride today. With the ink barely dry on my temporary certificate, my darling wife and I went up for a little sightseeing. The weather was awful here yesterday, and poor this morning, but the ceilings lifted enough for us to get out this afternoon. The coastline was CIG 3000, P6SM, so the clouds were right at my personal minimums. We decided to do a nice little low altitude jaunt up the shoreline to show her what it looked like from the air.

After takeoff, we headed out to the shoreline. Cleared NZY's Class D, then transitioned the SAN Class B offshore at 400ft (cleared at or below 500). Once north of Crystal Pier, we climbed to 1500 and headed north, checking out Mt. Soledad, La Jolla, Torrey Pines, and the Del Mar racetrack. I had planned to do a touch and go at CRQ so my wife could see the Carlsbad Flower Fields close up, but when I tuned in ATIS they were reporting CIG 1500 (a little low for my blood, where TPA is right at the FAR's "500 ft below clouds" rule). Instead, we just turned around and headed back south. Transitioned the Class B southbound, then NZY gave us permission to transit San Diego Bay from Pt. Loma all the way to South Bay at 800 ft. Great views of the harbor and downtown! Once we reached Point Charlie (the old Blue Crane), we went direct to home base, where I executed a beautiful greaser (luck happens).

Although the weather was marginal (for my personal minimums), the trip we made was within my comfort zone, and discretion was definitely the better part of valor on forgoing CRQ. My darling wife, who hates flying in something as small as a CRJ and had never flown in any ASEL before, actually said she enjoyed the trip and would be willing to fly with me again. WOOHOO! Maybe there is some family future in this.

Ciao,
BC

PS - As a present for getting my certificate, I handed down my old Avcomm headset to my wife and strapped on a brand new Lightspeed 20 3G. Only one word is required: nice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home