Sunday, May 28, 2006

Cross Country

Yesterday, the lovely wife and I decided to try and get up to Hemet (HMT) and French Valley to log some more XC PIC and get some dinner. The weekend plan involved a short XC for Saturday and a longer XC for Monday. We wanted to see a few sights and try out the airsickness pills for C before we tried to go further afield (ie North Las Vegas).

A cold front and the marine layer together were playing havoc with the weather here in SOCAL on Saturday. When we went out to the field, they were calling BKN 025 at MYF and SCT 025 at SEE (about 10 miles east of MYF), with SKC further north. We launched out of MYF eastbound in a C172 to try and find the SCT clouds, but couldn't find anything but low ceilings and high terrain. After about ten minutes, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor, so I turned around and headed back to MYF. On the inbound, I carried too much speed into final and was floating like crazy, so I called a go around and tried again. Nailed a nice little landing on 23 at MYF and called it a day.

As I was planning our flight for tomorrow, I pulled down the TAF's (and METARS) for a trip to Chino, CA (CNO). Holy clear skies, Batman! The weather was going to be clear all day long with the marine layer moving back in about midnight (making tomorrow the normal SOCAL crap shoot). I convinced my long-suffering wife to push our CNO trip up to today, and we headed out to MYF. The only plane available for the whole afternoon was the Archer I flew on Thursday, so we booked it and boogied. Preflight, file, and launch. Picked up flight following with a shortcut through the Class B and we flew I-15 all the way to Chino (IFR: I Fly Roads). Chino Tower brought me in on 26R for a short taxi to the FBO.

Once in Chino, we parked at Championship Aviation and went to the Planes of Fame Museum. They have an awesome collection of classic warbirds and civilian craft. Mustangs, Spitfires, a Zero, B-25, and much, much more. Truly a great view of some classic planes.

We then headed down to Flo's Cafe to refuel the PIC and the chief photographer. They had great food and good prices. Big Country had the patty melt, and the chief photographer (also known as my darling wife) had the chicken finger snack plate. I can highly recommend both.

A few hours after arrival, we hopped back in the Archer and got ready to head home (after preflight and weather update). One small issue with the upper door latch (quickly fixed with the handy fuel tester screwdriver), and we were airborne for the return. Picked up SOCAL flight following, then flew the I-15 back to San Diego (I love Interstates). Cleared direct through the Class B to MYF, first pass squeaker, parked the bird and called it a day.

Some highlights:
The airsickness pills for the chief photographer worked well. Even though we hit some turbulence and a few less than smooth maneuvers (that's my fault), she did really well. I think we have hit the jackpot.

If you are looking for someplace to fly for a day trip, go to Chino. Great museum, good food at Flo's, and easy in and out of the airfield (a little Class C overhead to contend with, but it wasn't hard at all).

Park at Championship Aviation. It's on the same side of the airfield as the museum. Although I wasn't taking on fuel, they didn't charge me a nickel to park for a few hours. Chocked the tires, laid a red carpet down by the step, the whole nine yards. The front desk girl wouldn't even take a tip for giving us directions. The line boy guided us in to parking, guided us out, and treated us like we were driving a Gulfstream. Thank goodness he accepted my tip, otherwise I would have felt like a total mooch. All in all, a great experience for a rental flyer.

I hope to post some pictures once the chief photographer finishes photoshopping them.

Cheers,
BC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home