Sunday, July 08, 2007

Another burger run

I had set up a meet today to fly with a few friends. K and C both work in my office. K is a PPC with about 250 hrs who hasn't flown in about 9 months due to work on his house. C is the guy who showed up to take over my job as I transition to grad school. He got his PPC in August 2001 right before GA got shut down in September 2001 and never went back up. In fact, his last GA flight before today was his PPC check ride. It was a great day to not only go flying, but to show them around my club at MYF.

We had planned to go to CNO, see the museum, and hit Flo's for a gut bomb, but the weather prevailed against us. Atypical for July, the marine layer has been burning off late and closing in early over the past week, and it did it again today. By the time it burned off, it was too late to go to CNO and have time to stop for fear we wouldn't make it back before the low ceilings closed in again. Instead, we decided to make a quick burger run up to F70, a nice and easy friendly flight.

After showing them the details of an Archer, we loaded up, fired up, and called for taxi. Taxiway H and A to 28R, number 2 behind a bunch of arrivals and an IFR release, then a downwind departure over Cowles Mountain. North over Lake Jennings and Barona at 3500, transition RNM at 3500 climbing to 4500, cruise up Pauma Valley and start our descent into French Valley. I did a 5 mile 45 entry to left traffic Rwy 18 and made a fairly decent landing despite the crosswind.

After a good burger and discussing some possible future business plans, we saddled up and headed back. Same route back, cleared for the visual 28L, and one of the best landings I have made in a long time. The crosswind was 8 kts from the left. I maintained a good lineup in slip, flared correctly, the stall buzzer chirped, the left main chirped, the right main chirped, then the nosewheel settled as I gracefully slowed down and made the turn onto Taxiway G.

K enjoyed the flight and is definitely interested in getting back into flying. C is extremely interested. He needs an updated medical, probably a few practice flights with a CFI, and a BFR to get up to date. They both have the card of one of my favorite CFI's, the guy who soloed me back in the day (and also happens to be a friend of K).

I don't know how many more flights I will get in SOCAL. I am down to 11 days before I depart for the East coast. I may try for one or two more, we'll just have to see.

3 Comments:

Blogger k said...

If this is the last flight you get out of SoCal before you join us in VA, at least you'll have ended on a really positive note!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Paul in the CA Desert said...

bummer about CNO, but the trip to French Valley can't be beat for a good time.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Anthony Frost said...

If you are injured in a private plane crash, or someone you love has been injured or killed, you have the right to speak with a private plane crash lawyer to determine if you should be compensated. Victims of airplane crashes can suffer devastating injuries and should be compensated for their pain and suffering.

small private flight crash

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home