Monday, February 05, 2007

Snow and Flying

The Chief Photographer and I had a wonderful vacation in the mountains of Colorado hitting some downhill, even a black diamond and some moguls (me) and some snowshoeing (the Chief Photographer and her friend K). The snow was wonderful champagne powder that is a pleasure to ski and I only fell twice, both on moguls. Here are a few pictures of the lovely views.







After returning home and getting caught up at work, I went out this past weekend for a little flying. Nothing exciting. 1.1 hours of complex time, NZY to SDM, five landings, back to NZY for 1 landing. I did put the gear up on every takeoff and remembered to put it down for every landing, so I consider this a success.

I'm hoping to get up at least once more this month, taking the Chief Photographer to Big Bear for lunch. Big Bear is an airport up in the mountains east of LA. Due to it's high density altitude it is difficult to get in and out in the summer, but the winter provides plenty of lift and great views of the snow covered mountains, not to mention good Chinese food. After that, it's big iron back to the Old Dominion to start looking for a place to live.

Have a great week.

Cheers,
BC

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason I've always been apprehensive about Big Bear. I didn't bat an eyelid about going to Catalina but Big Bear gives me the willies. I think its all the tales of crazy downdrafts and a vision of landing on 2" of ice that does it. One day though....

5:31 PM  
Blogger Big Country said...

See, I would rather go to Big Bear (in the winter) than Catalina. I have had nothing but positive experiences at Big Bear, but I've gotten the crap beat out of me at Catalina (updrafts, downdrafts, sidedrafts, you name it). Besides, that hockey-stick runway scares the devil out of me.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Paul in the CA Desert said...

I won't deny that my heart beats a little faster on downwind to Catalina.

I really should go to Big Bear before its too warm.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home