Sunday, December 24, 2006

Sightseeing in SOCAL, Rant, Christmas Greetings

I took my father in law for his first flight in a small plane yesterday, a sightseeing tour around San Diego. We went straight out from 28L at MYF, turned northbound and went up the coast at 1500 as far as Del Mar racetrack. We turned around and cruised southbound looking at Torrey Pines and Mt Soledad before dropping to 500ft.

Flying at 500ft over the ocean with cliffs for a beach isn't the most comfortable experience, but you get used to it. In San Diego, this "shoreline transition" lets you through the Class B while letting your passengers see Sunset Cliffs.

Once we cleared Pt. Loma southbound, we flew over Coronado (NZY was closed, so the Class D was now Class G), down the Bay, around the city, up to Palomar observatory, then back to MYF for a straight in to 28L that then became an offset to 28R.

My father in law, a retired economics professor from Norfolk, VA, really enjoyed himself, so I was happy.

Separate Rant: Why do some people act like their lives and plans are more important than yours? My wife took a call from a fellow club member (at MYF, not NZY) who told her to tell me to change my reservation time so he could go on a cross country (in such a tone that she thought he was the airplane owner). When I returned his call, he told me he needed me to shorten my reservation to support him leaving early on a XC for Christmas (no please or anything) while also complaining to me that another member hadn't cancelled their reservation in the plane that he really wanted to support his Christmas weekend(huh?). I was going to change it anyway, so I told him I would shorten it and that I may be back a little earlier than planned if he wanted to come out to the airport and wait for the plane. "No," he replied, "just call me when you get back and I'll come out there." What am I, your secretary? I don't think so.

I flew my flight, didn't call him to tell him the plane was back (he can figure it out for himself), then went home. I thought the interaction was over. Nay, nay, readers. He calls my house last night by accidentally redialing the wrong received call in his cell phone. When he realizes that he's talking to "the guy about that plane," he tells me he decided not to take that plane because it was "trashed". I got very defensive because I leave planes cleaner than I find them. It turns out, his definition of "trashed" has nothing to do with dirty, it has to do with the fact that the plane is older and doesn't have a GPS. Give me a break!

I do have to say that this clown is not indicative of most of the members of the flying club at MYF. Most of the members at this club are outstanding pilots who love to fly and who take reasonable care of the airplanes. You have a few who don't call in their squawks, but this A$$H0L3 is well beyond the norms (outside six sigma for you stats geeks).

End Rant.

Now, for a Christmas greeting. To all of my readers out there (however few they may be) the Chief Photographer and I wish you all a very merry Christmas. Enjoy the day with your family and friends and enjoy your presents. Most of all, remember that the best present you can get is the affection of your friends and family.

Merry Christmas from all of your friends at Big Country Flying Service!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your Plus One experience, there are always people like that wherever your go, it seems. Whatever happened to 'do as you would be done' etc?

Looks like a couple of nice trips (that VOR approach into AVX is a fun one!) - have a great Christmas.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home