Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Christmas Song

(To the tune of "Let it Snow")

Well the sun outside is shining,
It's a great day to be flying,
But since we got HDTV
Must get free, must get free, must get free.

With our new 42 inches of living plasma high definition color, it's been hard to get away from the television. Yesterday, I watched Navy destroy Army in the annual classic. Every ten minutes, either the Chief Photographer or I would say "Damn, that's a nice picture."

Today, for the umpteenth time this week, it was severe clear in SOCAL, so I used the weather as my intervention to get me out from in front of that glorious screen and out into the sunshine. I had to go flying!!!

Nothing complicated, just a quick trip from MYF to HMT and back, with some short field landings and some private pilot maneuvers on the way back. Steep turns, slow flight, stalls. Slow flight and stalls went well, but the steep turns were definitely rusty. The first set was not within PTS standards, the second was within standards but not up to my liking, and the third set was finally acceptable. I must be sure to take some flying time every once in a while to practice my basic Private Pilot skills to keep them sharp.

Only five days until we hear from the Darden Graduate School of Business at the University of Virginia. Either I cut the mustard, or their quota for old washed up ex-Navy hangar rats was full. We are really hoping that I get accepted at UVA so that we can move back to the Old Dominion, so keep your fingers crossed, pray your rosary, light candles, chant, whatever it is you do for good luck and send it my way.

Cheers,
BC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home